Hose reels are basically a cylindrical spool designed for the storage of hose and cable, keeping it neat and kink-free, when not in use. A recognized custom made hose reels manufacturer like Recoila manufactures and designs hose and cable reels to suit the user's application and specific need, with consideration to environmental factors, operator use, life expectancy, and aesthetic appeal. ReCoila places a great deal of emphasis on building hose and cable reels with the purpose of helping users reduce safety risks by getting hoses and cables off the ground when not in used, correct stowage of the hose or cable reduces impact and damaged when not laying around extending the life expectancy.
Hose reel solutions are applied in many different industries, from medical to construction, hospital operations, manufacturing and industrial, welding, aviation, gardening, and so forth.
The History of Hose Reels
In the 17th Century, the first hose reels were invented in the Netherlands. The requirement to meet a requirement presented by the recent development of fire hoses. Users discovered that, while they performed properly, fire hoses were extremely difficult to transport and deploy effectively due to weight, length, etc. To solve this, engineers designed drums for transporting them. As time passed these fire hose drums were included in the fire truck’s design. The concept of a hose drum crossed over into other applications becoming an accepted form of hose and cable management.
The Industrial Revolution brought a wave of new technology and materials with which manufacturers quickly adapted to including the hose and cable industry, they became smaller and lighter. Hose and cable reel manufacturers were able to modified their design accordingly. The drums developed into the spool-like storage machinery as we more readily identify with these days. As the hose and cable reel industry continued to developed we find hose and cable reels in many materials, sizes, and designed for all types of applications.
Types of Hose Reels
Let’s outline some of the different types of hose reels available:
- Manual hose reel – Usually, a side-mounted handle is utilized for operating these hose reels.
- Mechanical hose reel – We also call powered or automated hose reels which may be driven by electricity, hydraulics or pneumatics.
- High-pressure hose reel – These hose reels are made for managing higher pressures of water, air, and other heavy liquids for industrial and manufacturing procedures.
- Spring-powered hose reel – These mechanical hose reels retract the hose or cable with the use of an internal spring. Additionally, these can be self-latching or non-latching.
- Exhaust hose reel – These hose reels are utilized for storing vehicle exhaust hose when it’s not required, particularly at a work site. Usually, these reels are accessible with both motorized and spring-enabled retractors.
- Fire hose reel – These are large reels and made of extremely rigid materials for supporting the additional length and weight of fire hoses. These hoses are a type of high-pressure hose reel made especially for the firefighters. These hoses and reels provide a significant amount of firefighting power.
- Water hose reel – These hose reels are utilized for storing hoses which transport water from one area to another. These may be fixed or portable, based on the application requirements. Usually, they are categorized by their retraction process, the diameter and length of the hose they hold, and their pressure rating. These reels are utilized for many applications, incorporating industrial cleaning, landscaping and lawn watering, washing and offering water transportation to orchards, golf courses, farms, and parks.
- Air hose reel – Also named as pneumatic hose reels, these reels house air hose for conveying air and harnessing pneumatic power over long or short distances. These reels are extremely common in the DIY, maintenance, manufacturing, construction, automotive maintenance, and engineering projects.
- Extension reel – These cable reels are utilized to deploy or rewind electrical cords mechanically or manually. The object of this reel is to keep the cords easy to access, organized, and tangle-free. They are either portable or mounted on a wall using an outlet nearby. This reel is helpful in numerous settings, incorporating manufacturing facilities, factories, in the garage, around the house, in offices, in workshops, and out in the garden.
Recoila manufactures all the above-mentioned types of hose reels. Check out our collections for a detailed insight on our hose and cable reels.
Why You Need Custom Made Hose Reels
Custom made hose reels offer expanded features, benefits and advantages to their users based on the specific application. Appropriate care can be engineered to provide a better life cycle of a hose or cable, reduce risks of trips and falls, improve efficiencies, enhance the operator interface.
For more information and a suitable hose and cable reel management system call ReCoila on +61 29621 8988.